God’s Dwelling Within – The Life of St. Benedict – The Holy Rule of St. Benedict with Fr. Mauritius Wilde, O.S.B.
Fr. Mauritius Wilde and Kris McGregor discuss St. Benedict’s journey, emphasizing letting go of ego to dwell with God. TFr. Mauritius warns against the trap of false humility and the belief that techniques alone can lead to spiritual growth, stressing the role of grace in allowing God to enter our lives. The goal is to dwell with God in this life and in eternity, akin to the peaceful state imagined in heaven.
Discerning Hearts Reflection Questions:
- Journey Reflection: Reflect on the struggles and temptations faced by St. Benedict on his spiritual journey. How do these challenges parallel with your own spiritual journey?
- Dwelling with God: Consider the concept of dwelling with oneself in the presence of God. How can you cultivate this sense of peaceful dwelling with God in your own life?
- Letting Go of Ego: Fr. Mauritius speaks about the importance of letting go of ego to allow God to enter our hearts. How can you actively let go of ego and open yourself more fully to God’s presence?
- Role of Grace: Discuss the role of grace in spiritual growth. How can you cultivate a greater awareness of God’s grace in your life?
- False Humility: Reflect on the concept of false humility. How can you ensure that your humility is genuine and not merely a facade?
- Techniques vs. Grace: Consider the balance between spiritual techniques and reliance on God’s grace. How can you integrate both in your spiritual practice?
- Goal of Dwelling with God: Reflect on the ultimate goal of dwelling with God both in this life and in eternity. How does this perspective shape your spiritual aspirations and priorities?
“This said, he forthwith returned to the solitude he loved so well, and lived there with himself, in the sight of Him who seeth all things.”
Father Mauritius Wilde, OSB, Ph.D., did his philosophical, theological and doctoral studies in Europe. He is the author of several books and directs retreats regularly. He serves as Prior at Sant’Anselmo in Rome. For more information about the ministry of the Missionary Benedictines of Christ the King Priory in Schuyler, NE