A Novena in honor of Ven. Bruno Lanteri, founder of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary
Day 4 – Strengthening the Reasons to be Joyful
1. Our gratitude requires it. We have an obligation to be thankful for the spiritual goods we possess. How will we ever show enough appreciation for them unless we really enjoy them and celebrate them?
2. Our honor demands it. How can we rejoice and show gratitude [for spiritual goods] if we are sad and melancholy? One would enjoy, most certainly, being favored by a prince, receiving worldly riches and the hope for even more. Do we have any excuse for not enjoying being favored by God, receiving spiritual riches and the well-founded hope of eternal riches yet to come?
3. Sacred Scripture testifies that God’s manifest desire is our joy. Here are some of the Lord’s invitations:
• “Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4)
• “Rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.” (Luke 10:20)
• “I recognized that there is nothing better than to rejoice and to do well during life.” (Ecclesiastes 3:12)
• “Nothing is more delightful than joy of the heart.” (Sirach 30:16)
• “Go, eat your bread with joy and drink your wine with a merry heart, because your works are pleasing to God.” (Ecclesiastes 9:7)
• “Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous; exult, all you upright of heart.” (Psalm 32:11)”
Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, you created me in your plan of love. You created all the things on the face of the earth to help me find true happiness. Fully aware of my weakness, I resolve this day to open my heart to your gifts of consolation. Even if I struggle, I will rejoice that you are with me.
Daily Novena Prayer
Venerable Bruno Lanteri, I come to you confident in the words of Jesus: Ask and you shall receive (Matthew 7:7). You said, “It is impossible to hope too much; the one who hopes for everything attains everything.” You taught that the greatest miracles are those that change the heart. Through your intercession, may the good God, whose infinite mercy surpasses all the malice of the world, console my heart and grant my request.
By your prayers keep my poor heart in peace, protect me from discouragement, and help me to serve God with a holy joy. Amen.
O Father, fountain of all life and holiness you gave Father Bruno Lanteri great faith in Christ, your Son, a lively hope, and an active love for the salvation of his brethren. You made him a prophet of your Word and a witness to your Mercy. He had a tender love for Mary and by his very life he taught fidelity to the Church. Father, hear the prayer of your family and, through the intercession of Fr. Lanteri, grant us the grace for which we now ask…. May he be glorified on earth that we may give you greater praise.
We ask this through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.