Stephen J. Binz is a Catholic biblical scholar, psychotherapist, popular speaker, and award-winning author of more than thirty books on the Bible and biblical spirituality. “Learning to Pray with Scripture” is another volume in the excellent “Lectio Divina” series brought to us by Our Sunday Visitor. In it Stephen uses the actual prayers of Sacred Scripture to help us enter a deeper relationship with God through our own prayer. This series is outstanding, and absolute MUST for those seeking a great guide to this ancient prayer form!
You can find this book here
Every chapter leads you forward through a sequence of:
- Listening – Reading Scripture with expectancy, trusting that God will speak His Word to us through it
- Understanding – Seeking to comprehend the meaning of the text, encountering God there and being changed by that encounter
- Reflecting – Linking the truth of the Scriptures to the experience of faith in the world in which we live
- Praying – A dialogue with God: we listen to God, then we respond in prayer
- Acting – After prayerfully listening to God through a passage of Scripture, we should be inspired to make a difference in the way we live
Sometimes when folks think of the practice of Lectio Divina, the spiritual prayer of pondering God’s Word, they think of a quiet meditation. But more than that, Karl Schultz, the author of “How to Pray with the Bible -The Ancient Prayer Form of Lectio Divina Made Simple”, shows us that it might be quiet, it is also vibrant, interactive and a deeply fulfilling relationship with God in prayer. Karl is a master of this type of prayer and has much to share. I love it! As a Benedictine oblate, it is at the heart of our spiritual practice. Not to be missed, take a listen….