- BTP-LR2 The "Last Retreat" Day 2 - Beginning to Pray with Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Kris McGregorFrom "Last Retreat Day 2" found in The Complete Works vol 1: 5. It is the same for the soul that has entered into the “fortress of holy recollection”: the eye of its soul, opened in the light of faith, discovers its God present, living within it;…Read More
- St. Thomas Aquinas, "the poet laureate of heaven" with Mike Aquilina
- Kris McGregorSt. Thomas Aquinas, the Italian saint was a priest and is widely recognized as being one of the most influential figures in the study of theology. Here we have more on St. Thomas Aquinas from Mike Aquilina who he refers to as the "poet laureate of he…Read More
- BA3 - The Crucible of Suffering and the Gift of Faith - Begin Again: The Spiritual Legacy of Ven. Bruno Lanteri with Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- Kris McGregorIn this episode, Fr. Timothy Gallagher discusses the crucible of suffering that occurred in the young Bruno Lanteri's life. The tragedies became the stepping stones for newness in the spiritual journey. So are the opportunities that may arise in our…Read More
- RN-7– Value 5-1 – The Common Good – Regnum Novum w/ Omar Gutierrez
- Kris McGregorEpisode 7 – Regnum Novum: Bringing forth the New Evangelization through Catholic Social Teaching with Omar Guiterrez - Value 5 The Common Good, Universal Destination of Goods, Subsidiarity, Participation, Solidarity part 1 From episode…Read More
- POA3 - "Temptation" - Put On The Armor - A Manual for Spiritual Warfare w/Dr. Paul Thigpen Ph.D.
- Kris McGregorDr. Thigpen offers insights on the Manual for Spiritual Warfare Chapter 2: he ordinary activity of demons is subtle and occurs within our thought life. They plant ideas within our minds seeking to influence our reason, memory, and imagination — an…Read More
- USCCA8 - The Saving Death and Resurrection of Christ - U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults w/ Archbishop George Lucas
- Kris McGregorEpisode 8- The Saving Death and Resurrection of Christ Archbishop Lucas offers insights on the US Catholic Catechism for Adults Chapter 8: Because Christ's suffering and death was the instruments of salvation, from what did he save us? We ne…Read More
- BA2 - The Value of Spiritual Reading - Begin Again: The Spiritual Legacy of Ven. Bruno Lanteri with Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- Kris McGregorIn this episode, Fr. Timothy Gallagher discusses the influence of Fr. Nikolaus Joseph Albert von Diesbach on the young Bruno Lanteri. An encounter with a good spiritual book facilitates the conversion of Fr. Diesbach at a critical time in his life.…Read More
- RN-6 – Value # 4 – Truth, Freedom, Justice, and Love part 3 – Regnum Novum w/ Omar Gutierrez
- Kris McGregorThese are the four values of the Social Teaching of the Catholic Church as they’re enumerated in the Compendium and as they were laid out by, again, Blessed Pope John XXIII in Mater et magistra and Pacem in terris. Without these values, the work of s…Read More
“Discerning Hearts is a trusted resource for Catholic spirituality and teaching. I support it as an apostolate for the new evangelization that brings the Good News to every corner of the world through the internet.”
Most Reverend George J. Lucas,
Archbishop of Omaha
Please consider donating in order keep this mission of evangelization afloat on the digital sea.
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT ministry
“Discerning Hearts offers orthodox resources for those who are serious about deepening their understanding of the spiritual life and the teachings of Holy Mother Church. I support this apostolate, which makes the treasury of Catholic wisdom and knowledge readily available.”
Most Reverend James Conley,
Bishop of Lincoln
Discerning Hearts is an outstanding resource for those searching for a deeper spirituality. It contains so many authors and speakers for enriching our spirituality. It’s a trusted resource and so quickly available. For those who live miles from their parish or a retreat center, this is the place to look! Join the many who are who are seeking the Face of God in a deeper way.
Most Reverend William J. Dendinger
Bishop of Grand Island
Please consider helping us. We are little boat on the big digital sea... We are non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT Public Charity Status 17 (b) (1) (A) (vi)
Mike Aquilina offers the compelling story of the St. Perpetua and her great friend and sister in the faith, St. Felicity.
Saints Perpetua and Felicity were martyrs who died for the faith around the year 203.
St. Perpetua was a young, well-educated, noblewoman and mother living in the city of Carthage in North Africa. Her mother was a Christian and her father was a pagan. In terms of her faith, Perpetua followed the example of her mother. Despite the pleas of her father to deny her faith, Perpetua did the very opposite, and fearlessly proclaimed it. At the age of 22, she was imprisoned for her faith. While in prison she continued to care for her infant child and put up with the tortures designed to make her renounce her faith. Perpetua remained steadfast until the end. St. Perpetua was sacrificed at the games as a public spectacle for not renouncing her faith.
St. Felicity was a pregnant slave girl who was imprisoned with St. Perpetua. Little is known about the life of St. Felicity because, unlike Perpetua, she did not keep a diary of her life. After imprisonment and torture, Felicity was also condemned to die at the games. Only a few days before her execution, Felicity gave birth to a daughter who was secretly taken away to be cared for by some of the Faithful.
- IP#157 Mike Aquilina – Mothers of the Church on Inside the Pages
- ROF#1 – Witnesses to Tradition – Roots of the Faith with Mike Aquilina
- ROF#5 – Roots of the Faith with Mike Aquilina
- ROF#2 – The Mass: the Universal Sign – Roots of the Faith with Mike Aquilina
- St. Basil the Great – the “Doer” with Mike Aquilina