- IP#220 Mother Dolores Hart O.S.B. - The Ear of the Heart on Inside the Pages
- 15 hours ago Kris McGregorThis is the best biography I have read in years! What a glorious testament to the fruitfulness of the Benedictine rule and how it transforms lives. Mother Dolores Hart brings to us a generous sharing of her life experience and the joy found in the…Read More
- IP#219 Fr. Kenneth Baker S.J. - The Will of God on Inside the Pages
- 15 hours ago Kris McGregor"The Will of God: Finding and Fulfilling Your Purpose in Life" is a great book which uses the great Psalm 119 to help us in the area of discernment. Taking a lifetime of steeped in prayer and sound theology, Fr. Baker gives us a unique and penetrat…Read More
- Come, Holy Spirit
- BKL35 - The Great Gift of Penetcost with Msgr. John Esseff
- 6 days ago Kris McGregorMsgr. Esseff reflects on the readings for the great feast of Pentecost He discusses the birth of our true identity, and in particular, what it means to be Christ in the world today.Read More
- Holy Spirit, Make Your Home In Me - In Conversation with Fr. George Montague
- 6 days ago Kris McGregorFr. George Montague is an exceptional biblical scholar, as well as a humble pastor. His experience with the gifts given by the Holy Spirit are extraordinary and he shares those with us, but he also encourages us to seek the deepening of our own pray…Read More
- IP#131 Fr. Louis Cameli - The Devil You Do Not Know on Inside the Pages
- 8 days ago Kris McGregor"The Devil You Don't Know: Recognizing and Resisting Evil in Everyday Life" is not about some "sensationalistic" overview of the "creepy", instead it is a solid resource for those seeking to vanquish the ordinary means in which evil disrupts and dama…Read More
- IP#218 Dick Lyles - Answer Your Call on Inside the Pages
- 12 days ago Kris McGregorI cannot recommend a book more highly than this, "Answer Your Call: Reclaim God's Purpose For Faith, Family, and Work" is OUTSTANDING! The combined gifts of Dick and Martha Lyles have brought us must a gem which serves as a practical everyday guide…Read More
- IP#217 Pat Gohn - Blessed, Beautiful and Bodacious on Inside the Pages
- 12 days ago Kris McGregorWhat a sheer delight to talk with Pat Gohn about "Blessed, Beautiful, and Bodacious: Celebrating the Gift of Catholic Womanhood"! This book is a tour de force of insight on the unique gift of the authentic feminine nature. Pat has an engaging wri…Read More
“Discerning Hearts is a trusted resource for Catholic spirituality and teaching. I support it as an apostolate for the new evangelization that brings the Good News to every corner of the world through the internet.” Most Reverend George J. Lucas, Archbishop of Omaha
Please consider donating in order keep this mission of evangelization afloat on the digital sea. We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT ministry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
- Saturday, 25 May 2013 : Book of Sirach 17:1-13.God from the earth created man, and in his own image he made him. He makes man return to earth again, and endows him with a strength of his own. Limited days of life he gives him and makes him return to earth again. He endows man with a strength of his own, and with power over all things else on earth. He puts the fear of him in all flesh, and gives him rule […]
- Saturday, 25 May 2013 : Psalms 103(102):13-14.15-16.17-18a.As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on the faithful. For he knows how we are formed, remembers that we are dust. Man's days are like those of grass; like a flower of the field he blooms; The wind sweeps over him and he is gone, and his place knows him no more. But the kindness of the LORD is from eternity to eternity t […]
- Thursday, 23 May 2013 : Psalms 1:1-18.104.22.168.Blessed the man who follows not The counsel of the wicked Nor walks in the way of sinners, Nor sits in the company of the insolent, But delights in the law of the LORD And meditates on his law day and night. He is like a tree Planted near running water, That yields its fruit in due season, And whose leaves never fade. Whatever he does, prospers. Not so, the […]
- Saturday, 25 May 2013 :[…]
Click on the image above to find books and videos we recommend to you
Please consider helping us. We are little boat on the big digital sea... We are non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT Public Charity Status 17 (b) (1) (A) (vi)
On this date, in 1909, a remarkable woman died…Mother Mary MacKillop. Her story is almost as wild as the outback she grew up in. Born the oldest of 7 children, her parents sojourn to Australia alone would have been quite the tale. Taken as a whole, the life of St. Mary MacKillop should have been the “Australia” movie made recently, instead of that Baz Lurhman never-ending epic thing. Her life was filled with adventure, struggle, suffering, persecution (she was even excommunicated at one point, but later completely exonerated), joy, triumph, and, to be sure, a great deal of faith, hope and love.
She was foundress of the School Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart (known affectionately as the Brown Joeys). She and her community were dedicated to the education of the poor. Think about that…Australia…late 1800′s…former criminal colony…poor…outback…wow, what a challenge (not to mention the big heavy brown habits). And of course, throw Pope Leo XIII into the story as well (St. Katherine Drexel and St Therese the Little Flower can tell you about him); now HERE is the movie that should be made! I wonder who could play her…maybe Emily Blunt. Anyway…she is Australia’s ONLY saint (recognized as a saint October 2010). Let’s pray for more…her homeland can use more right now. Acutally, we all could use more heroes of virtue right now. You can read more about her here.
It seems appropriate to honor her life with this production done by an Australian confirmation student. It’s a little hard to read sometimes, but I think it would make St. Mary MacKillop smile.
(and I think she would have smiled at the use of Beyonce too…reclaiming the temporal order. Way to go kid!)
This entry was posted on Monday, August 8th, 2011 at 7:00 am
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.