- BA3 - The Crucible of Suffering and the Gift of Faith - Begin Again: The Spiritual Legacy of Ven. Bruno Lanteri with Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- Kris McGregorIn this episode, Fr. Timothy Gallagher discusses the crucible of suffering that occurred in the young Bruno Lanteri's life. The tragedies became the stepping stones for newness in the spiritual journey. So are the opportunities that may arise in our…Read More
- RN-7– Value 5-1 – The Common Good – Regnum Novum w/ Omar Gutierrez
- Kris McGregorEpisode 7 – Regnum Novum: Bringing forth the New Evangelization through Catholic Social Teaching with Omar Guiterrez - Value 5 The Common Good, Universal Destination of Goods, Subsidiarity, Participation, Solidarity part 1 From episode…Read More
- POA3 - "Temptation" - Put On The Armor - A Manual for Spiritual Warfare w/Dr. Paul Thigpen Ph.D.
- Kris McGregorDr. Thigpen offers insights on the Manual for Spiritual Warfare Chapter 2: he ordinary activity of demons is subtle and occurs within our thought life. They plant ideas within our minds seeking to influence our reason, memory, and imagination — an…Read More
- USCCA8 - The Saving Death and Resurrection of Christ - U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults w/ Archbishop George Lucas
- Kris McGregorEpisode 8- The Saving Death and Resurrection of Christ Archbishop Lucas offers insights on the US Catholic Catechism for Adults Chapter 8: Because Christ's suffering and death was the instruments of salvation, from what did he save us? We ne…Read More
- BA2 - The Value of Spiritual Reading - Begin Again: The Spiritual Legacy of Ven. Bruno Lanteri with Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- Kris McGregorIn this episode, Fr. Timothy Gallagher discusses the influence of Fr. Nikolaus Joseph Albert von Diesbach on the young Bruno Lanteri. An encounter with a good spiritual book facilitates the conversion of Fr. Diesbach at a critical time in his life.…Read More
- RN-6 – Value # 4 – Truth, Freedom, Justice, and Love part 3 – Regnum Novum w/ Omar Gutierrez
- Kris McGregorThese are the four values of the Social Teaching of the Catholic Church as they’re enumerated in the Compendium and as they were laid out by, again, Blessed Pope John XXIII in Mater et magistra and Pacem in terris. Without these values, the work of s…Read More
- POA2 - "Why does God allow evil?" - Put On The Armor - A Manual for Spiritual Warfare w/Dr. Paul Thigpen Ph.D.
- Kris McGregorDr. Thigpen offers insights on the Manual for Spiritual Warfare Chapter 1: God is infinitely more powerful than the Devil and his hosts. So why doesn’t God prevent them from their evildoing on planet earth? We could ask a similar question abou…Read More
- USCCA7 - The Good News: God Has Sent His Son - U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults w/ Archbishop George Lucas
- Kris McGregorArchbishop Lucas offers insights on the US Catholic Catechism for Adults Chapter 7: We ponder Christ's person and his earthly words and deeds in terms of mystery. His earthly life reveals his hidden divine Sonship and plan for our salvation.…Read More
“Discerning Hearts is a trusted resource for Catholic spirituality and teaching. I support it as an apostolate for the new evangelization that brings the Good News to every corner of the world through the internet.”
Most Reverend George J. Lucas,
Archbishop of Omaha
Please consider donating in order keep this mission of evangelization afloat on the digital sea.
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT ministry
“Discerning Hearts offers orthodox resources for those who are serious about deepening their understanding of the spiritual life and the teachings of Holy Mother Church. I support this apostolate, which makes the treasury of Catholic wisdom and knowledge readily available.”
Most Reverend James Conley,
Bishop of Lincoln
Discerning Hearts is an outstanding resource for those searching for a deeper spirituality. It contains so many authors and speakers for enriching our spirituality. It’s a trusted resource and so quickly available. For those who live miles from their parish or a retreat center, this is the place to look! Join the many who are who are seeking the Face of God in a deeper way.
Most Reverend William J. Dendinger
Bishop of Grand Island
Please consider helping us. We are little boat on the big digital sea... We are non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT Public Charity Status 17 (b) (1) (A) (vi)
I could have listened to Dr. James Hitchcock all day, he is absolutely fascinating. But the next best thing is to read his tremendous work, “The History of the Catholic Church: From the Apostolic Age to the Third Millennium”. The content is the best, the layout makes it so very accessible, and the storytelling is engaging…a must have and a perfect gift for family and friends! In our discussion, we discuss the influence of the papacy, Constantine, the 13th and 15th century, St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, and so much more. Not enough time, but so much fun. Don’t miss! One of my favorites of 2012!
You can find the book here
“For years, James Hitchcock has been our premier historian – a dissident from conventional wisdom, well-armed and solid. Here he pioneers a new method for presenting a long sweep of history: an orderly and altogether fascinating series of vignettes – of arguments, movements, distinctive persons, and concrete events. There is just enough narrative in these sequences to carry the reader along, but without involving her in excessive interpretation. This book provides both a great resource for easy reference, and a stimulating definition of a Christian humanism that holds in tension the transcendent and the down to earth, the holy and the sinful. This is a tension which Hitchcock maintains throughout.”
- Michael Novak