- IP#220 Mother Dolores Hart O.S.B. - The Ear of the Heart on Inside the Pages
- 23 hours ago Kris McGregorThis is the best biography I have read in years! What a glorious testament to the fruitfulness of the Benedictine rule and how it transforms lives. Mother Dolores Hart brings to us a generous sharing of her life experience and the joy found in the…Read More
- IP#219 Fr. Kenneth Baker S.J. - The Will of God on Inside the Pages
- 24 hours ago Kris McGregor"The Will of God: Finding and Fulfilling Your Purpose in Life" is a great book which uses the great Psalm 119 to help us in the area of discernment. Taking a lifetime of steeped in prayer and sound theology, Fr. Baker gives us a unique and penetrat…Read More
- Come, Holy Spirit
- BKL35 - The Great Gift of Penetcost with Msgr. John Esseff
- 6 days ago Kris McGregorMsgr. Esseff reflects on the readings for the great feast of Pentecost He discusses the birth of our true identity, and in particular, what it means to be Christ in the world today.Read More
- Holy Spirit, Make Your Home In Me - In Conversation with Fr. George Montague
- 7 days ago Kris McGregorFr. George Montague is an exceptional biblical scholar, as well as a humble pastor. His experience with the gifts given by the Holy Spirit are extraordinary and he shares those with us, but he also encourages us to seek the deepening of our own pray…Read More
- IP#131 Fr. Louis Cameli - The Devil You Do Not Know on Inside the Pages
- 8 days ago Kris McGregor"The Devil You Don't Know: Recognizing and Resisting Evil in Everyday Life" is not about some "sensationalistic" overview of the "creepy", instead it is a solid resource for those seeking to vanquish the ordinary means in which evil disrupts and dama…Read More
- IP#218 Dick Lyles - Answer Your Call on Inside the Pages
- 12 days ago Kris McGregorI cannot recommend a book more highly than this, "Answer Your Call: Reclaim God's Purpose For Faith, Family, and Work" is OUTSTANDING! The combined gifts of Dick and Martha Lyles have brought us must a gem which serves as a practical everyday guide…Read More
- IP#217 Pat Gohn - Blessed, Beautiful and Bodacious on Inside the Pages
- 12 days ago Kris McGregorWhat a sheer delight to talk with Pat Gohn about "Blessed, Beautiful, and Bodacious: Celebrating the Gift of Catholic Womanhood"! This book is a tour de force of insight on the unique gift of the authentic feminine nature. Pat has an engaging wri…Read More
“Discerning Hearts is a trusted resource for Catholic spirituality and teaching. I support it as an apostolate for the new evangelization that brings the Good News to every corner of the world through the internet.” Most Reverend George J. Lucas, Archbishop of Omaha
Please consider donating in order keep this mission of evangelization afloat on the digital sea. We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT ministry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
- Sunday, 26 May 2013 : Book of Proverbs 8:22-31."The LORD begot me, the first-born of his ways, the forerunner of his prodigies of long ago; From of old I was poured forth, at the first, before the earth. When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no fountains or springs of water; Before the mountains were settled into place, before the hills, I was brought forth; While as yet the […]
- Sunday, 26 May 2013 : Psalms 8:4-5.6-7.8-9.When I behold your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars which you set in place— What is man that you should be mindful of him, or the son of man that you should care for him? You have made him little less than the angels, and crowned him with glory and honor. You have given him rule over the works of your hands, putting all things under […]
- Friday, 24 May 2013 : Psalms 119(118):220.127.116.11.34.35.Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes. In your statutes I will delight; I will not forget your words. Open my eyes, that I may consider the wonders of your law. Make me understand the way of your precepts, And I will meditate on your wondrous deeds. Give me discernment, that I may observe your law And keep it with all my heart. Lead me in the path […]
- Sunday, 26 May 2013 : Letter to the Romans 5:1-5.Brothers and sisters: Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access (by faith) to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven chara […]
Click on the image above to find books and videos we recommend to you
Please consider helping us. We are little boat on the big digital sea... We are non-profit 501(c)(3) TAX EXEMPT Public Charity Status 17 (b) (1) (A) (vi)
During this time when we are asked to remember the value of our religious liberty, our conversation with Dr. Thomas Kidd is an important one. Dr. Kidd gives us the life and passionate thought of “Patrick Henry: First Among Patriots”. Patrick Henry gave us the great rallying cry “Give me Liberty or Give me Death”, and yet many of us may not realize that he had huge reservations about the scope of the Constitution, because he feared it could one day seize that liberty and destroy it if allowed to go unchecked….very interesting. I found this to be a fascinating book. Would Patrick Henry’s concern turn out to be a prophetic one? Dr. Thomas Kidd handles his subject well, and presents the time, place and overall personality of Henry with clarity and insight in a very compelling read.
Dr. Thomas Kidd teaches history at Baylor University and is Senior Fellow at Baylor’s Institute for Studies of Religion. His newest book is Patrick Henry: First Among Patriots, published in 2011 with Basic Books. God of Liberty: A Religious History of the American Revolution was published in 2010, also by Basic Books. Additional recent books include American Christians and Islam, published in 2008 by Princeton University Press, The Great Awakening: The Roots of Evangelical Christianity in Colonial America, published by Yale University Press in 2007, and The Great Awakening: A Brief History with Documents, with Bedford Books in 2007. He is a contributor to patheos.com and has written op-eds for USA Today and the Washington Post.
You can find the book here
Wilfred M. McClay, SunTrust Chair of Excellence in Humanities, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga“His (Patrick Henry’a) historical reputation has suffered somewhat because of his opposition to the Constitution, but as Thomas Kidd shows in this vivid and lucid new biography, that judgment fails to do him justice. Indeed, his fears of the Constitution’s tendency toward consolidation and empire turned out to be well-founded, and the principal themes of his life, including his emphasis upon the cultivation of virtue and the protection of limited government, have never been more relevant. May this fine book lead to a long-overdue reconsideration of a great but neglected figure.”
This entry was posted on Friday, January 27th, 2012 at 7:30 am
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.